Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Better Batter GF Flour

I read great reviews about Better Batter Flour online and wanted to see if it was as awesome as everyone says. I must say, it's really good.

I bought the flour at Good Earth Natural Foods for about $20 dollars for a 2.5 lb bag. It is cheaper in bulk but I wanted to try it before buying a huge thing of it.

I have tried one other GF flour and several packaged things like muffin mix and they were all kind if sandy in texture (only before cooking) because of the way rice is when ground up. This is the first flour I've seen that actually looks like flour. You couldn't tell why looking at it that is gluten free. It smells a little different though.

I have made two big things with it. The first was bread. I just substituted the flour into my regular recipe. It tasted ok but didn't rise. I guess I needed to make more changes. The second were the cookies. I've also used it in small amounts for dinner recipes.

Tonight I made peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. I used a recipe from a book called Gluten Free Recipes for Kids (book cover and recipe below). The cookies are the same as regular ones, texture wise. They cooked in 12 minutes. They taste very similar to regular cookies. Because it is GF flour, there is a little taste difference but its not too noticeable. Someone who doesn't have a good sense of taste probably wouldn't notice. My 4 year old likes the cookies too.

I really like this flour. It's texture and taste are so much like regular flour that in most recipes I can just substitute it when called for regular flour. I would give this flour 4.5 stars out of 5 and definitely buy it again.









No comments:

Post a Comment